To learn about the constellations and the stars' positions in the sky.
Concept: Star groupings and patterns
Discuss and research the Pleaides constellation (seven stars) and make
a pattern for each viewer.
black construction paper
1. Students will cut off the flaps of a box.
2. Students will line box with black construction paper.
3. Students will cut a hole (~3 cm) at one end of the box.
4. Students will insert a paper tube into the hole.
5. Students will cut seven pieces of black thread and attach aluminum
foil balls to end of each thread.
6. Students will tape the threads to the top of the box and allow
the threads to hang in the box.
7. Students will loosely tape the top flaps of the box closed to
allow some light into the box.
8. Students will look through the paper tube and look at the Pleaides
This can also be used to look at other constellations.