At 55 E. Garfield Boulevard is the Good Shepherd Tower, a privately
owned seven-story highrise for senior citizens and the handicapped. The
first new housing constructed in the area in more than fifteen years,
the project was initiated by a black congregation and built by a black
contractor, C.F. Moore. Members of the Church of the Good Shepherd (Congregational),
5700 S. Prairie, established a non-profit corporation and secured financing
from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) under
Section 8. The first tenants moved into the building in August 1984, and
the formal dedication occurred on June 2, 1985. Longtime property owners
in this section of Washington Park who remember Garfield Boulevard's heyday
welcomed the construction of Good Shepherd Tower.
Another recent building on the boulevard is the Life Center Church
of Universal Awareness (1982) at 5500 S. Indiana Avenue. Every Sunday
hundreds of black Chicagoans attend services here to hear Rev. T.L. Barrett
preach "the gospel of success."
Turn left on Indiana Avenue and go eight blocks north to 47th Street.
On a clear day Chicago's Loop is visible in the distance. Like Michigan
and Wabash Avenues, Indiana was one of the South Side's most fashionable
streets. In 1873 the Chicago Times noted that these three streets
were "wide, handsome, perfectly straight and level," suitable
for housing Chicago's "middle classes and substantial bourgeois."