Go to the Digital Library top page!

Social Studies

Click here to go to introduction.

Loop Tour
« Back to Tour Map « previous 3 of 15 next »
Site C.
At the southeast corner of State and Randolph stands the Marshall Fields & Company department store, designed in several phases (1892, 1902, 1906, 1907, and 1914) by D.H. Burnham & Company. The portion at State and Washington marks the site of three previous buildings used by the partnership of Field and Leiter. The company moved to State Street in the late 1860s after Marshall Fields was persuaded by Potter Palmer that this underused street would become the retail heart of the city. The Field and Leiter store gave the Chicago real estate entrepreneur a much-needed anchor for the development of State Street into "that great street."

The photograph to the right shows the Marshall Fields and Company Building at State, Washington, Wabash and Randolph Streets in1985.

« previous 3 of 15 next »

Need help searching?
Search help

Search eCUIP:

Examples: or
Contact eCUIP!

Need help?

Return to the eCUIP top page!