Grand old Chicago Theater stands on the east side of State
Street north of Randolph. This movie palace, opened in 1921 and
designed by C.W. and G.L. Rapp for the Balaban and Katz theater
chain, has a special place in the heart of Chicagoans who remember
the stage shows the featured many of the greatest names of show
business in the 1920s 1930s and 1940s. One of Chicago's largest
movie houses, the theater seats 3,980 people. The building was designated
a Chicago landmark in 1983 despite protest by its owners. Plans
have been drawn up to turn the old movie house into a center for
the performing arts.
The photograph aat right shows the Chicago Theater in 1985. Plans
for the redevelopment of this Beaux Arts style structure as a
performing arts center are crucial for North Loop redevelopment.