Go east on Madison to State Street. This corner marks
the center of the city's street grid. Chicago's streets numbered
to the east, west, north, and south from the intersection. Once
one of the busiest corners in the world, this intersection marks
the center of the State Street retail district.
On the southeast corner stands the Carson Pirie Scott
store designed by Louis Sullivan in 1899 and 1903. It was enlarged
in 1905 by D.H. Burnham and Company, and again in 1960 by Holabird
and Root These architects, however, remained loyal to Sullivan
original plan. The intricate floral design of the ornamentation
on the two first floors is clearly Sullivan's. Notice also the
use of the Chicago windows throughout the building, allowing light
and air into the interior of the department store. The Schlesinger
and Mayer Company originally owned the edifice. Carson purchased
it in 1904. The photograph above shows the Carson Pirie Scott
Building on the southeast corner of State and Madison in 1985.
Notice the elegant ironwork accents that adorn the first two floors
of the building.
The firm of Holabird and Roche designed the Wieboldt's
store, formerly the Mandel Brothers store building, on the northeast
corner. This firm also planned the State-Madison Building which
formerly occupied by the Boston Store on the northwest corner.