On the northwest corner of dark and Washington stands
the combination County Building and City Hall (1911). The
County Building is the older of the twin buildings designed by Holabird
and Roche. Its Beaux-Arts classicism was typical of civic architecture
in the first decades of this century. The heavy Corinthian columns
quickly establish the importance of the buildings, Clark Street has
developed as the government center of Chicago and even of Cook County.
For those interested in doing research on Chicago's history. City
Hall contains the excellent Municipal Reference Library.
The above photograph shows the County Building and City Hall
at Clark, Washington, LaSalle, and Randolph Streets in 1985. Notice
its block-square neoclassical structure.