Go to the Digital Library top page!

Social Studies

Click here to go to introduction.

Loop Tour: Site V
« Back to Tour Map « previous 15 of 15
Site V
Walk north to Wacker Drive and then turn right and proceed to Michigan Avenue. The Seventeenth Church of Christ Scientist is located on the corner of Wacker, South Water Street, and Wabash. Harry Weese designed this place of worship in 1968. This entire area was renovated after the Burnham and Bennett Plan (1909) called for the removal of the South Water Street Market from the Loop and the creation of the Michigan Avenue Bridge. The two-level Wacker Drive replaced the old marketplace in 1926; the new marketplace opened two miles southwest of the Loop. Three years later modern buildings joined this formal riverfront as part of Chicago's gateway to the lake. The photograph at right shows the South Water Street Market around 1917.

Heald Square, directly across Wacker Drive from the church, commemorates the ill-fated commander of Fort Dearborn at the time of the massacre in 1812. Sculptured figures by Lorado Taft of Revolutionary notables Robert Morris, George Washington, and Haym Salomon adorn the square.

« previous 15 of 15

Need help searching?
Search help

Search eCUIP:

Examples: or
Contact eCUIP!

Need help?

Return to the eCUIP top page!