Go to the Digital Library top page!

Social Studies

Click here to go to introduction.

Lower West Side Tour: Sites E & F
« Back to Tour Map « previous 4 of 12   next »
Site E
The 18th Street business district continues to be as important today as it was a century ago when Pilsen was strictly a "pedestrian neighborhood." Spanish signs now dominate the first floor shops, which run the gamut from Mexican bakeries, to grocery stores and butcher shops, bookstores, small clothing shops, taverns, and restaurants.

Site F
Turn right at Paulina and go one block north to 17th Street, then right and one block east on 17th to Ashland (1600 West). The magnificent Roman basilica known as St. Adalbert's, 1656 W. 17th Street, was designed by Henry J. Schlacks, built by the West Side's leading Polish Catholic congregation and dedicated in 1914, forty years after the parish was founded. The church's murals and stained glass windows established St. Adalbert's as a Polish shrine. In recent years the church has taken on a new identity as predominantly Mexican. Symbolic of this change is the shrine in honor of Our Lady of San Juan de los Lagos (1975) with its traditional picture of Our Lady of Guadalupe. The above photograph shows th interior of St. Adalbert's Church in 1980.



« previous 4 of 12 next »

Need help searching?
Search help

Search eCUIP:

Examples: or
Contact eCUIP!

Need help?

Return to the eCUIP top page!