In 1889 the entire district became part of the city of Chicago
when the Township of Hyde Park voted in favor of annexation. The
area was greatly affected by two events: the annexation and the
Columbian Exposition, which followed soon afterwards in 1893.
Paul Cornell was one of the first to try to capitalize on the
World's Fair that was held in Jackson Park. The park, which separated
Hyde Park from South Shore, promised to be a boon to all the surrounding
areas. Cornell opened a huge wooden hotel. The Calumet, at 75th
Street and the IC tracks. The railroad connected the fairgrounds
with downtown and, of course, with South Shore.
A housing explosion followed the fair, and developers quickly
subdivided the farm land. The Windsor Park Golf Club, located
between 75th and 79th Streets east of Yates Boulevard was sold
to Charles Ringer shortly after the fair. He hoped to attract
the Armour Institute to the site, but failed, and eventually he
sold the land to apartment house developers.
With the construction of more and more housing. South Shore
took on the characteristics of a middle-class neighborhood. In
the Jackson Park Highlands west of Jeffrey and south of 67th
Street were subdivided and developed. This was followed the next
with the opening of the South Shore Country Club (See
Fig. 1). Both of these developments were related to events
which were happening to the northwest of the neighborhood in
Washington Park community. In fact, these same events set a trend
that would continue to shape the history of South Shore for
rest of the century.
South Shore Country Club, c. 1910. »