Make a right turn on 50th Street and go three blocks
west to Drexel Boulevard. The huge Greek revival building on the
northeast corner of 50th and Drexel is now the home of Operation
PUSH. Kehilath Anshe Ma'ariv (K.A.M.), the oldest Jewish congregation
in Chicago, built this building in 1923 when they moved from their
old synagogue on 33rd and Indiana. Architects Newhouse and Bernham
designed this house of worship. Operation Push bought the building
in 1971 when K.A.M. merged with Temple Isaiah and moved to Hyde
Park Boulevard and Greenwood Avenue. The above photograph shows
the Operation PUSH Headquarters at the northeast corner 50th and
Drexel in 1980.
Turn right on Drexel and go one block north to 49th
Street. Make a left, or U turn, and go south on Drexel two blocks
to Hyde Park Boulevard and make another left (east). After you
make the U turn south on Drexel from 49th Street, the historic
McGill Pare Apartments at 4938 S. Drexel will be on your right.
Henry Ives Cobb, the original architect of the campus of the University
of Chicago, designed this structure as a single-family residence.
He used the same type of Bedford stone here that he used on the
first university buildings. The private residence was completed
in 1891. After additions, the home eventually contained 40,000
square feet. It was built for Dr. John McGill, a prominent physician
whose family founded McGill University in Montreal. The French
Gothic structure opened as an apartment complex in 1983 after
being used for several purposes including a YMCA and a center
for wayward juveniles. Architect Carl Klimek developed the plan
for the apartment project.
At the southwest corner of Hyde Park (51st Street) and Drexel
Boulevards stands an elegant fountain in a small park known as
Drexel Square. It is the oldest fountain in Chicago. Henry
Manger designed this tribute to Austrian-born Francis Martin Drexel,
founder of the world famous financial house of Drexel and Company.
Drexel's sons presented the fountain to the South Park Commission