five blocks west on 57th Street to Woodlawn (1200 East). The
First Unitarian Church of Chicago dominates this intersection
with its 200-foot English Gothic steeple. Denison B. Hull designed
this house of worship, which was the last stone-on-stone church
built in Chicago. It was completed in 1931 at a cost of one million
Turn left on Woodlawn and go one block south to 58th
Street. Frank Lloyd Wright's magnificent Robie House, built
in 1909, stands on the northeast corner of the intersection. The
building is used today by the University of Chicago for offices.
William Zeckendorf donated the house to the university, and it
has been renovated by funds coming from public subscriptions.
This house is probably the best example of Wright's Prairie style.
Continue one block south on Woodlawn to the Midway Plaisance.
On the northwest corner of 59th and Woodlawn stands the neo-Gothic
Rockefeller Chapel, designed by Bertram G. Goodhue and
built in 1926-28. Originally called University Chapel, it was
named after John D. Rockefeller after his death in 1937. Rockefeller
founded the University of Chicago and donated the chapel to the
university. The photograph above shows Rockefeller Chapel on the
northwest corner of 59th and Woodlawn in 1980. It was built with
the last million dollar bequest of John D. Rockefeller to the
university he founded.