Go to the Digital Library top page!

Social Studies

Click here to go to introduction.

Loop Tour: Sites B & C
« Back to Tour Map « previous 3 of 15   next »

Site B
Proceed south on Michigan Avenue, turn right at Randolph, and walk three blocks west to Dearborn Street. The Cultural Center of the Chicago Public Library stands on the southwest corner of Michigan and Randolph. Originally built as the city's central library in 1897 and designed by Shepley, Rutan, and Coolidge, this building was thoroughly renovated in 1977 under the guidance of the firm of Holabird and Root. Included in the Cultural Center is the large G.A.R. Museum dedicated to the Northern Soldiers of the Civil War. This building marks the north end of the Michigan Avenue cultural district. Once the street was built up with cultural institutions and businesses, the area immediately to the south of Grant Park became a cultural "annex" of Michigan Avenue. The Field Museum of Natural History, the Shedd Aquarium, and the Adler Planetarium are located along the lakefront south of Roosevelt Road.

Site C
At the southeast corner of State and Randolph stands the Marshall Fields & Company department store, designed in several phases (1892, 1902, 1906, 1907, and 1914) by D.H. Burnham & Company. The portion at State and Washington marks the site of three previous buildings used by the partnership of Field and Leiter. The company moved to State Street in the late 1860s after Marshall Fields was persuaded by Potter Palmer that this underused street would become the retail heart of the city. The Field and Leiter store gave the Chicago real estate entrepreneur a much-needed anchor for the development of State Street into "that great street."

The photograph to the right shows the Marshall Fields and Company Building at State, Washington, Wabash and Randolph Streets in1985.

« previous 3 of 15 next »

Need help searching?
Search help

Search eCUIP:

Examples: or
Contact eCUIP!

Need help?

Return to the eCUIP top page!